You continue to look at the shiny, new rock on your left hand. You can hardly wait for the big day. You already have in mind your venue, your wedding dress, your bridal party. And you just got proposed to an hour ago!
If you just became engaged to your soul mate, congratulations! I would like to enlighten anyone on the joys of a sunrise ceremony. I know, crazy right? Well, not so much!
Why a sunrise ceremony, you ask? Here were some of the top reasons why I chose to get married in the morning.
1) Lighting for the photos…oh. my. gaw! So gorgeous. Nothing beats the unharsh natural lighting of the wee hours of the morning. Any photographer knows that 😉
2) You don’t have to wait all day to get married. You spend a short time in the morning gathering for the ceremony, and all of your out-of-town guests can spend the rest of the day together, touring the city and catching up on each others’ lives.
3) Brunch is literally my fave meal. I mean, who wouldn’t want fresh coffee, fresh fruit, donuts, egg quiches, and bacon on skewers?? Like, all day?? (Sorry, I have to throw in what people call my “valley” girl writing. I only do this when I am truly excited!) The whole venue quite possibly could have been mistaken for an upscale La Madeleine restaurant.
4) Waking up early has no words. The silence of the morning you will begin with the love of your life. The morning that shakes people up to reality, a difference in the usual norm of life. The moment that you give up your morning to prayer in Christ, as was our reasoning, to imitate the love that He showed for us when God gave up His Son. We celebrated in unison. When our pastor revealed why we would be crazy enough to get married in the morning, the majority of the crowd gasped in shock and “awww”ed for a while. A true reminder of where our beliefs lie. If He sacrificed a life, can everyone else sacrifice a few hours of sleep? I think so.
5) We had the rest of the day to ourselves. My new husband and I spent the day together as a newly married couple. We actually ordered pizza at the hotel during late lunch time, so I looked pretty intense scarfing down two slices in 2 minutes in a giant, puffy wedding dress.
6) We went back to party. Yup, we had a huge informal reception in the evening. It was awesome! Music, small appetizers, laughter. It was all just oh-so great. Don’t you want an ENTIRE day dedicated to both of you, instead of just half??
7) It is entirely memorable. People to this day have told us they look back at weddings that were very fancy, glam everything. They don’t recall what or how this wedding looked like, just the wedded couple, obviously. They speak highly of our wedding, and yes, it was a wintry cold ceremony, but they accomplished waking up early for loved ones, and they haven’t been able to forget that.
Now, how is a sunrise ceremony less expensive than an afternoon or evening one?
- Breakfast foods are less costly than evening reception foods.
- Venues are willing to rent out for a small amount of time in the mornings so they can rent it once again in the evening to another couple, if needed. We chose to stay around the same location but used a different hall, so it was very easy to accommodate. All in all, they will charge you less for mornings, typically.
Post coming soon on how-to budget for your grand wedding and how to keep it under $10,000!
Would you dare to be different and have a sunrise ceremony that everyone will talk about? I hope I have encouraged you to stray off a little from the regular path in order to have a totally awesome sunrise wedding!
Wedding photo credits by Clayton Austin.